General Manager – Pidherney Centre
The Pidherney Centre is seeking a motivated, dynamic individual to serve as General Manager for our curling / event centre located in Red Deer, Alberta. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, with innovative ideas, love working with people and are interested in the opportunity to assist the Board of Directors in helping the club meet its’ objectives in the sport of curling and evolve the club to unleash the full potential of this year-round facility, we are looking for you!
The Pidherney Centre is home to the largest curling facility in the world with a storied past dating back to the 19th century. The facility has 12 sheets of ice, a full service kitchen and event rental space with capacity to cater large events. The Pidherney Centre is home to approximately 750 curlers that play in 17 different leagues.
The General Manager (GM) is responsible for the successful operation and development of the Pidherney Centre and reports directly to the Board of Directors. The GM is responsible for the financial accountability, day to day operations and promotion of the Pidherney Centre
The GM is supported by various Board committees providing guidance and assistance in managing the facility. This is a full-time position in which the time commitment will include weekdays, weekends, and evenings during our peak season. The successful applicant will be the “Face of the Organization”.
- Implement approved policies
- Managing all financial aspects and financial reporting
- Marketing and promotion of leagues, events, bonspiels, and the facility in general
- Preside over club hosted events and leagues, draws & schedules
- Overseeing maintenance of the facility
- Attend Board meetings with a prepared manager report
- Overseeing of bar, pro shop, kitchen, and ice operations
- Supervise and provide leadership to the staff of 15-20 and acting as the center of communication for the most efficient use of all resources
- Applying for grants at all levels of government
- Identifying and developing new sponsorship opportunities and maintaining existing sponsorship relationships
- Developing the facility’s master plan to become a year-round event centre in concert with the municipal plan
- Provide clear communication between the membership, the facility users, staff and the Board.
Education and Experience
An ideal candidate would have:
- Knowledge of curling club operations and the sport of curling and / or have a strong background in business management and business development
- Personable individual with strong public relations and communication skills
- Post-secondary education in business and / or recreation management
- Minimum of five years’ experience with customer service
- Minimum of two years’ experience supervising others in a management role
- Financial and accounting experience
- Food and beverage industry experience
- Experience in general computer software plus social media
Remuneration and Benefits
- Full time salaried position with remuneration ranging from $70,000 to $100,000 per year plus potential bonus structure depending on past experience and qualifications
- Benefits dependant on needs of the applicant
To apply please send your resume and cover letter by email to [email protected] with “General Manager” in the subject line by June 5th, 2023. Prospective applicants will be contacted by June 19th, 2023. We thank all applicants who apply; only those that are granted interviews will be contacted. The successful candidate will need to provide a Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check.
Thank you for your interest in our facility and this position.