The Coaldale Granite Club is currently seeking a head ice technician for the 2020-21 season.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the position is seasonal from September to March. The Coaldale Granite Club is a 6 sheet curling club with roughly 200 members of all ages and ability and approximately 7-10 draws per week. In addition, the club also hosts 4-6 regular club bonspiels throughout the season in addition to weekly rentals, practice sessions and Alberta Curling Federation and Curling Canada sanctioned events. The club has a new ice plant which was installed and has been operating since 2014.
Responsibilities (not limited to):
– Coordinates and provides leadership in the daily operation of ice making, maintenance and improvement of ice operations
– All on-ice operations – ice installation, ice maintenance, water quality sealing, flooding, pebbling, painting, scraping, temperature control, frost heaving, curling stones, brine, refrigeration, humidity, energy conservation & safety
– Ensure regular flooding of ice surface
– Ensure plant and ice area is kept clean
– Ensure the ice is prepared and ready for use for each draw and event in a timely fashion
– Prepare and maintain ice for bonspiels and events. Work closely with the coordinating chair of the bonspiel to ensure all the needs are met
– Manage and train part time / casual ice staff and volunteers when required
– Identify and forecast needs for small and capital equipment replacement / maintenance
Skill and Attributes:
– Ice Technician Certification
– Previous ice technician experience
– Self-motivated and works well with minimal direction
– Ability to work with flexible hours depending on the task at hand