The Hec Gervais Academic & Curling Scholarship has been available to young curlers since 1999. The fund was put in place to honor Hec Gervais, a curling legend and his many accomplishments in curling, to his community, his country, and throughout the curling world.
Established to reflect Hec’s values and beliefs of a strong education, competitiveness and community leadership, this fund is made possible through the cooperation of the governing curling bodies in the Provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan and by the support of curlers everywhere.
The Foundation provides young curlers with the financial opportunity to further expand and refine their curling abilities and accomplishments. This fund is made possible through the cooperation of all the governing curling bodies in the Province of Alberta and friends of curlers everywhere.
Scholarship Application Deadline: May 31, 2023 at midnight
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP
Who is eligible to apply?
Curlers who are a member in good standing with Curling Alberta and 20 years of age or under as of December 31 in the year of application may apply for the scholarships. Curlers who are attending high school or post-secondary education are encouraged to apply. For more specific information refer to the Selection Criteria.
Amount of the Scholarship
Amount of scholarships will be determined by interest rates and amount of monies or donations to the fund. Until otherwise noted, the Foundation will award three scholarships in Alberta, in the amount of $3,000 each.
How do I apply?
In order to apply, you must complete all sections of the application form and submit it online, including transcript of marks and a maximum of 3 references. Applications must be received via the online submission form no later than May 31, annually. You will receive confirmation that your application has been submitted successfully.
When are the recipients chosen?
The Hec Gervais Academic & Curling Scholarship winners will be chosen by the selection panelists in June of each year.
Hec Gervais Academic & Curling Scholarship Foundation Criteria:
- Must have competed in Junior Men or Women, ICS, Juvenile, High School, Winter Games, or Mixed competitions OR be an outstanding member within the curling community.
- Must have illustrated above average interest, skill, dedication, and sportsmanship to, and promotion of curling.
- Recipients must be actively curling the same year that they win the award.
- Must be a member in good standing with Curling Alberta.
- Must be age 20 or less as of December 31 in the year of application.
- Must be striving to achieve gainful life skills consistent with the sportsmanship and philosophy of the curling fraternity.
- Must be a valued contributing member of a curling club, school and/or community.
- Application forms need to be submitted no later than May 31st. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- The number of awards and value of each will be determined by the Hec Gervais Academic and Curling Scholarship Foundation Board of Directors.
Who do I contact for any additional information?
Please email [email protected] with any questions regarding the Foundation or scholarship process.
- Brad Kokoroyannis Chairperson
- Joanne Kokoroyannis Past Chairperson
- Jackie Gervais Treasurer
- Adele Pysar Secretary
- Stan Gervais Board Member
- Erin Gervais Board Member
- Jackie Rae Greening Board Member
- Heather Nedohin Board Member
- Marc Kennedy Board Member
- Joanne Courtney Board Member